Accidents can always happen, even when you think you are safe – in your home. However, if you pay attention, you may notice that your home is not so safe as you think. Some things you can make better. For example, some of these!
1. Check your smoke detector regularly. It is not enough just to have it to be safe. It is necessary that it is correct, and that it works properly. Regularly clean and maintain it because the dust can disable it. Also, during the time, the batteries run out.
2. Get a carbon monoxide detector. Wherever there is combustion of certain types of fuels, there should be a carbon monoxide alarm. This is a device that you must have if you heat the house by burning a coal, wood or something else. Carbon monoxide is very dangerous because it is colorless and odorless, and you will not notice its effect until it is too late.
3. Keep guns locked up. If you have any weapons in the house, either because the profession, or because you are a fan of hunting, the safest way is to keep it locked in safes like these. You never know when will the curiosity of your family members, especially children, beat reasonableness.
4. Protect yourself from burglars. To do this, you must take a lot of precautions. One way is to get a good security alarm and security door. However, this is not the only way to burglars gets into your home. So, go through the house and watch it with the eyes of the burglars. Check the windows, rear entrances, basements. Let the yard is well lighted.
5. Check your stairs. If you have stairs in the house, you might need to know that they are a very common cause of home accidents and falls. Of course, it’s impossible to get them out of the house, but you can make them safer. They must have a fence. If the surface of the stairs is slippery, place over them a carpet. Make sure it is properly attached to the stairs. If you have small children, set baby gates.
6. Secure electrical installations. This is another very important issue, especially when you have small children in the house. Cables and connectors are in their vision field, and they can very easily become the object of their curiosity. This curiosity can lead them into danger. So hide well all cables and cover all sockets.
7. Do not leave clear signs that you are not at home. It is wonderful to publish on a social networking that you are traveling on a family trip, but it is much safer to boast with this when you get home. Do not post when you are not at home, when the kids are in school and when they are alone at home. Pick up all the newspapers and flyers in front of the door – they draw attention that you are not there.
Norfolk is not a place world famous for the crime. Whether you live there or in any other part of the world, these safety tips can save lives. Accidents waiting for you when you’re not ready for them. Outsmart them.